Midway Volunteer Fire Department Fire Safety Tips
Citizens can do many things to increase the fire safety readiness of their homes.
. These include:
- Regularly Check Smoke Alarms - have fire alarms checked regularly smoke detectors are needed in homes
- Don't Overload Circuits - do not place cords and wires under rugs or in high traffic areas. Have outlets that sputter or emit an odor professionally repaired or replaced.
- Follow Manufacturer's Directions - Overheating, unusual smells, shorts and sparks are all warning signs that appliances need to be shut off, then replaced or repaired.
- Use Safety Caps - cover unused outlets, especially if there are small children in the home
- Practice Generator Safety - Keep anything combustible at least three feet away.
- Have a Fire Escape Plan - Practice an escape plan from every room of the home or business. Ensure family members of all ages have an emergency phone number and alternate meeting spot memorized.